Chicago Felonies Lawyers
Also Defending the Accused in Sycamore & DeKalb County
Being accused of a felony in Illinois can be one of the most stressful experiences you will ever face. Felonies are considered to be the most serious offenses of all crimes. They are generally punishable by a prison sentence that exceeds one year. Those crimes deemed the gravest can carry sentences lasting for up to three decades. If you are accused of a felony, it is essential that you bring in an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you achieve the best possible result.
At Jeffrey & Erwin, LLP, our Chicago felony attorneys know how to create strategic defenses based on the unique circumstances of your situation. Our mission is to ensure that your legal rights and best interests are protected from start to finish. Whether through negotiations with the prosecutor or defending you at trial, we leave no stone unturned in helping you avoid or minimize the harsh penalties associated with Illinois felony charges.
Our Chicago felony defense lawyers are available 24/7. Contact Jeffrey & Erwin, LLP via email or at (779) 222-5600 for a free initial consultation.
In Illinois, felony crimes are divided into five groups. These consist of Class 1 through Class 4 felonies, with Class 4 being the least severe. The fifth group, Class X felonies, are deemed to be the most serious of all; they generally include crimes involving a high degree of violence or, when nonviolent, huge dollar amounts or massive quantities of drugs.
Examples of felonies and their potential penalties are as follows:
- Class 1 Felonies. These crimes are often violence-based or include large thefts. Examples include sexual assault, burglary, second-degree murder, and theft of goods valued up to $100,000. Penalties can include four to 15 years in prison along with hefty fines.
- Class 2 Felonies. These crimes include prison sentences of three up to seven years along with fines. Examples include burglary, robbery, theft of items valued more than $500, drug possession of certain quantities, and kidnapping.
- Class 3 felonies. These are punishable by two to five years in prison along with fines. Examples include involuntary manslaughter, aggravated battery, theft of goods valued less than $500, and certain types of fraud.
- Class 4 felonies. These are punishable by a minimum prison term of one year with fines. Examples include sexual abuse, stalking, identity theft, and looting.
- Class X felonies. These are crimes of violence usually with intentional conduct or high-value white collar crimes. They are punishable by up to 30 years in prison with a minimum of six years. Examples include armed robbery, drug trafficking, drug manufacturing, and aggravated kidnapping.
Additionally, first-degree murder is a separate class of felony that carries 20 to 60 years in prison. Where aggravating circumstances are proven, it may involve a sentence of life imprisonment.
The collateral consequences of a felony conviction also includes potential restitution to alleged victims, loss of certain government benefits, loss of gun ownership rights, and a criminal record that can prevent future employment, housing, eligibility for professional licenses, and loss of immigration status for noncitizens.
If you believe you are the target of a law enforcement investigation into felony charges or have been arrested for a felony, it is vital that you act quickly to bring in a criminal defense lawyer. Our Chicago felony defense attorneys can apply years of experience in the criminal justice system to help you seek the best possible case result.
Call Jeffrey & Erwin, LLP at (779) 222-5600 or contact us online to get case-specific advice about your felony arrest or charges. Your initial consultation is free.
See What Our Clients Are Saying about us
Antonio worked hard on my behalf.
“Antonio worked hard on my behalf. I cannot thank him enough for the time he put in to help my family. We can see our way clear now.”
His knowledge and professionalism really put me at ease.
“In summer 2016, I had a work accident. Everything was difficult and delayed. I met with Antonio in the Spring of 2017. His knowledge and professionalism really put me at ease. Since I hired Antonio, everything has turned around 180 degrees in a very positive way. I would highly recommend him!”
He worked hard to get me a fair settlement.
“Antonio responded promptly to me and was able to answer my many questions. He worked hard to get me a fair settlement.”